Monday, December 10, 2007

Watch Your Language!

Language is probably one of the most overlooked aspects of success. I'm not talking about refraining from swearing or questionable jokes. I'm talking about the words you use to speak to others and, even more importantly, the words you use to speak to yourself!

The words we use are good indicators of our beliefs and attitudes. I was listening to a CD where Jerry "DRhino" Clark interviewed network marketing millionaire Jeffrey Combs when they brought up the topic of language. Mr. Combs was talking about those of us locked into the scarcity mindset and how that comes out in our language. We use phrases like "I wish," "I need," "If only," etc. He says that the words "I need" are the most devastating words you can use. If a person says, "I need to lose weight," what they are really saying is, "I should lose weight but I am not really going to."

A phrase that you probably think very often and possibly say out loud may be "I need more money." Look very closely what that sentence implies. You are affirming #1 - you do not have enough money and #2 - that situation is unlikely to change. It is a statement laced with fear of a poor financial outcome.

What people do not realize is that by carelessly using such words, we are programming ourselves for failure. We are telling our subconscious to look for evidence of and create situations where we need more money.

To create better results, change your "I need" statements to either "I will" or "I deserve." Your subconscious mind will pick up on these new speech patterns and start feeding you ideas to aid you in the accomplishment of your goal to have more money. It will identify evidence of why you deserve to have more money, thus building your self-esteem, your confidence and your faith in your ability to have more money.

So whatever you do, watch your language!

(You can learn more about Jerry "DRhino" Clark at www.clubrhino.com. His Standing on the Shoulders of Giants CDs consist of Mr. Clark interviewing wealthy and successful people and getting them to share the tips and secrets that have enabled them to become "giants" in their respective fields.)

No comments: