Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The First Step - Part 4 of 7

“The discipline of writing something down is the first step toward making it happen.”
~ Lee Iacocca


I am sure that you have all heard the saying that a goal not written down is only a wish. Do you know why writing things down is so important and the impact that it has on you? As humans, our brains are constantly running; constantly thinking about "something" and we may not even know what that something is. It is intangible, distant and lacks clear definition. The minute you start putting it into words, you start to bring it into focus. You give it body, shape, form and substance. It becomes more than a thought and creates an emotional reaction within us.

One example of this can be found by those who have kept journals or diaries. We all have hazy memories of our past. But as time goes on, unless it was a life-impacting experience, most of our memories get hazy and distorted until they become difficult to recall at all. We become detached from them. If you have kept a record of your past, you may have noticed that you can go back and read about a day, even one that was not particularly eventful, and the scant details you recorded will bring it back to you with amazing clarity. You may even start remembering details that you did not write down such as a song you heard, a slight breeze that was blowing at the time, or physical features of the people you interacted with. And all of this provokes an emotional reaction within you; usually the one you felt that day when you first recorded the entry. It is as if your journal is a time machine that takes you back to that day so you can relive it all over again.

Just like your writing is a time machine to your past, it can also convey you to your future.

Let me pick a wish of mine as an example. I wished to be a publicized author. I can take that wish and turn it into an instant reality (yes, instant!) by writing down my experience of attending the Meet the Author event where I am the author! I can share the excitement of opening the boxes and see the cover of my book with my name on it. I can describe the long line of people who are waiting anxiously to meet me. I can express my joy and appreciation as people compliment me on what I have written and how much they enjoyed it. I can describe the exitement of shaking people's hands, giving hugs, encouraging aspiring authors and my gratitude for the opportunity to meet such diverse, incredible people who have been inspired and entertained by my writing.

Just as I wrote those few lines about that future experience, completely devoid of the details I would use to describe the sights, sounds, smells and textures of the occasion, my pulse quickened and I became slightly breathless with excitement. Why? Because as I wrote those lines, I lived that experience ever so briefly in my mind. It was as real as if it had already happened and it provoked the emotional reaction of my being there. And as you focus on the emotional, future experiences, you start to set the Law of Attraction to work on your behalf.

So, write it down and make it happen!

Action Steps:
1. Make a list of things you want to d0, places you want to see, people you want to meet, objects you want to acquire and experiences you want to have. (See if you can list 100!)
2. Identify your "Top 10" on this list.
3. Select one of your "Top 10" and take the first step to making it happen by describing it in detail. Use all the senses - sight, touch, smell, sound and feeling!

1 comment:

Laura said...

This is good stuff...I am lapping it up!!