Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Lessons Relearned

In the Parable of the Talents, we learn of three servants who are entrusted with large amounts of money while their master is away. Two of the servants double their money through trade while the third buries the money he was given because he was afraid of losing it. When the master returned, he commended the first two servants for their faithfulness. The third servant is chastised severely being called a "wicked and slothful servant", the money he had was taken and given to the first servant and he was cast out.

I am not proud to say that I have been a "wicked and slothful servant" of late. I was on Step 5 of The Millionaire Marathon and had been for over a week and a half. I carried my marathon money in my pocket every day with the intent of moving to the next step. I had many opportunities to progress in the game, but I buried my money in my pocket instead out of fear. And now, like the slothful servant, my marathon money has been taken from me!

I went to put my marathon money back in my pocket last night and it was gone. I am guessing that my overzealous wife cleaned it up and put it in our change jar or one of my children found it and took it. Either way, according to the rules of The Millionaire Marathon, I am back on Step 1. Am I sad about it? To be honest, I was really frustrated at first. But every setback, every frustration, every failure is a learning opportunity. Here are the lessons that I learned:

1. Be careful with your money and know where it is at all times. Do not assume that you are okay financially. Know!

2. Give in to your fears and you are destined for failure.

3. Use it or lose it! If you do not use your talents (whether it be finances or abilities) they will be taken from you.

Here is your opportunity to learn from my failure so that you do not have to experience that pain yourself.

Now, I have experienced a major setback, but I am going to bounce back in a big way. Just you wait! I will be on Step 10 by Christmas Day! That will only leave me 18 more steps until I reach One Million Dollars!!!

I'll see you at the finish line!


---------------------------------------------------------

If you haven't even started running The Millionaire Marathon and would like to know how to get started, e-mail me at themillionairemarathon@hotmail.com for more information.

No comments: